CORPORATE STRATEGY ADVISORY
WHAT WE DO
- If you are thinking of making a material change in your business, Fortress can help you evaluate the opportunity and develop an execution plan
- Fortress can help you determine the merits of a potential merger or acquisition, or cost-cutting initiative
- Our financial and operational expertise can help you make an informed decision and minimize the time spent away from operating your business
YOU WILL BENEFIT FROM OUR SERVICES IF
You need to cut costs but are not sure how to evaluate the impact of each item
You have a number options for growth but aren't sure on which to pursue
You are not sure on how to evaluate a potential merger or acquisition as it fits into your existing business
HOW CAN OUR CONSULTATION SERVICES
ADD VALUE TO YOUR BUSINESS?The success of a business largely depends on the decisions made by management, the Board of Directors, and investors. Many significant decisions can be chosen and influenced by the company. However, without proper experience or guidance, these major decisions may not be made properly or the opportunities presented may not by utilized their full potential.
A pragmatic, results-driven strategy framework to make decisions can be used to create a framework to evaluate major decisions. This framework for decision making can maximize the value in your business by:
- Maximizing your sales price in a sale
- Minimizing the purchase price of an acquisition
- Optimizing financing strategy (debt vs equity) when evaluating how you will fund growth
- Removing unnecessary costs from your business to increase your profit margins while maintaining services levels
INITIAL CONSULTATIONIn our initial meeting we will discuss your corporate objectives and the opportunities you would like advice on.
ANALYSIS PREPARATIONAfter the initial meeting Fortress will prepare analysis, strategic rationale, and an execution strategy.
PRESENTATIONOnce the analysis is complete, Fortress will present its conclusion and suggested next steps.
DECISION REVIEWYour company and Fortress will discuss Fortress' suggestions and determine if it is best to proceed with the opportunity.
EXECUTIONIf it is determined that the opportunity is to be pursued Fortress will work with you to prepare an execution plan and assist you in its completion.
EVALUATIONAfter the execution of the opportunity is complete Fortress will evaluate the effect of the decision on your company and how your company has performed after its execution.
DEAL STRATEGY CONSULTATIONM&A can accelerate growth by harnessing new ways of managing capital. While organic growth takes time and often requires development of new capabilities, M&A enables faster realization of growth through access to new markets, sales and distribution channels, new capabilities, or by simplifying and optimizing infrastructure, operations and costs.
Fortress helps create value by challenging conventional thinking, bringing real industry insights and ‘investor-grade’ rigour, and providing on-the-ground support.
Fortress’ approach focuses on the key deal questions, such as:
- How will the target really enable new, sustainable growth?
- How valuable and overlapping is the customer base? Are sales channels profitable?
- In what direction could this deal take the new organization?
- Are the targets, capabilities and infrastructure well understood?
- Which opex and capex synergies are really achievable and by when?
- How significant are integration challenges/costs likely to be?
Fortress provides strategic and financial advice on raising capital, helps with decisions on where to invest, uncovers new opportunities, and provides rigorous M&A support pre, during and post deal:
- Target identification and evaluation
- M&A (buy-side, sell-side) due diligence and synergy cases
- JV and partnership strategy
- Refinancing and restructuring
- Exit strategies, divestments and carve-outs
- Integration/separation planning and execution
GROWTH STRATEGY CONSULTATIONGrowth is usually one of the top agenda items for companies. Companies are targeting aggressive growth strategies in response to structural shifts caused by new technologies, changing regulations, evolving customer needs and sector convergence.
Realizing growth is extremely challenging – with the majority of organizations unable to achieve and / or sustain their growth ambitions. Experience suggests that this may be the result of:
- Unrealistic growth objectives driving an undeliverable strategy
- A failure to consider implementation capabilities and bandwidth to execute
- Leadership team misalignment
- Lack of stakeholder support
- An inability to evolve and innovate in response to changing market and customer requirements
Fortress’ approach to driving step-change growth and top-quartile performance addresses issues such as:
- How to access new and unmet revenue and profit pools?
- How to profitably enter new markets and segments in a short timeframe?
- How to develop and commercialize innovative products in order to grow?
- How to attract new customers and enhance loyalty?
Fortress’ approach is based on identifying and implementing a prioritized set of growth platforms that will enable clients to achieve their growth ambitions. This distinctive approach is designed to bring benefits for clients:
- Connects related opportunities, driving internal collaboration and efficiency
- Builds up insight and enables scaled investment over time, as one opportunity leads to another
- Provides multiple routes to achieve targets and mitigates risk of setbacks with diversified portfolios of opportunities – if one idea falters, the platform remains strong
- Provides a realistic plan, accounting for the required talent and skillsets, time horizons and appetite for risk
- Enables sustained growth by institutionalizing growth as a capability in the company’s DNA
- Sets up ongoing management of new growth opportunities as a portfolio of investments with specific metrics to maintain momentum and progress
OPERATING STRATEGY AND COSTFortress supports clients in identifying, quantifying, prioritizing and delivering the changes required to align their operating model to their financial targets and strategic objectives. This approach helps deliver timely improvement in performance and visibility and control for long term operating impact.
With ever-increasing customer expectations, rapid market and technological change, disruptions from new entrants, increasing levels of regulation and reputational risk and growing shareholder scrutiny on performance, business leaders are being forced to continually re-evaluate their operational strategy, balancing short term cost improvements with long term change. The key question is whether organizations are optimized to deliver their business strategy and maximize shareholder value.
There are a number of triggers which can often cause businesses to re-assess their operating model including:
- Significant changes in market, competitive dynamics, and / or business strategy
- Performance and funding gaps
- Complex and inefficient operating model structures
- Technologically or regulatory driven change
Fortress helps clients to generate value by successfully aligning their operating model to their business strategy and financial targets by:
- Identifying the changes required to align the operating model to the business strategy and financial targets, including challenging strategic decisions that are potentially value diluting
- Developing and testing a range of alternative operating model options to identify the optimal solution for their business, balancing opportunity and risk identifying, quantifying and prioritizing efficiency opportunities, to drive cost reduction and or free up funds for investment
- Streamlining and aligning processes, organizational structures, management information, decision rights and incentives
- Designing and sequencing a change program to successfully deliver the required changes
PRICINGOur fees for a strategy consultations are fixed and value-based. The amount is based on the complexity and expected duration of the mandate.
Typical mandates require 15 hours of analysis and research to complete. Mandates with ongoing monitoring and evaluation generally require an additoinal 5 hours per month.
Fees for strategic consultations begin at $1,000. For mandates with ongoing requirements, monthly retainers start at $500.